Levine Has No Contract With Boston Symphony Orchestra

“As music director James Levine prepares for back surgery that could keep him from taking the podium at Tanglewood this summer, frustrations are building within the orchestra, and a stunning detail has emerged: Levine has no signed contract with the BSO.” The BSO’s managing director says: “This is not tenable, the uncertainty. We have to protect ourselves.”

As James Levine Ails, Met And BSO Reshuffle And Wait

The conductor’s “need for a timeout — for surgery and for recuperation — has put the Met and the Boston Symphony in a bind.” Both organizations “said on Monday that it was too soon to speculate about anything beyond the immediate future, though musicians in Boston said they had been aware all season that Mr. Levine was in considerable pain.”

Leonard Slatkin Out Of Met ‘Traviata’

The conductor, who received harsh reviews this week for his work in the Met’s current revival of La traviata, has withdrawn from the remainder of the run for “personal reasons.” A statement from his manager says that “his artistic contribution, which he feels he has thoroughly prepared,” – though Slatkin had suggested otherwise on his blog – “does not however coincide with the musical ideas of the ensemble.”

Arts Criticism Is Dying – And Always Will Be

A.O. Scott observes that, before the Web was cheapening criticism and destroying an honorable profession, television shows like the Siskel-and-Ebert franchise were allegedly doing the same thing. “The circumstances in which the art of criticism is practiced are always changing, but the state of the art is remarkably constant. Which is to say that, from a certain angle, the future of criticism is always bleak and the present always a riot of ill-informed opinion and boisterous disputation.”

Canada’s 2-Year Fest Stimulus Deserves Permanent Status

“All across Canada, people who operate festivals are waiting for an announcement from the minister of tourism and small business. At the same time, they are also apprehensive because this is the second and final year of a short-term program the federal government clearly labelled ‘stimulus’ only.” There are strong reasons the program should live on.

Charleston Symphony Cancels Season, Suspends Operations

“A significant drop in fundraising dollars, exacerbated by the recession’s ‘strong headwind,’ has forced the Charleston Symphony Orchestra to suspend its operations, effective immediately, … It is the first time in the orchestra’s 75-year history that a performance season has been disrupted because of acute financial difficulties, and next season’s fate is far from certain.”