iTunes – Not Such A Good Deal After All

People are raving about Apple’s iTunes. But it’s not a good deal for consumers, or for artists. “Apple takes a 35% cut from every song and every album sold, a huge amount considering how little they have to do. Record labels receive the other 65% of each sale. Of this, major label artists will end up with only 8 to 14 cents per song, depending on their contract. Many of them will never even see this paltry share because they have to pay for producers and recording costs, both of which can be enormous. Until the musician ‘recoups’ these costs, when you buy an iTunes song, the label gives them nothing.”